Saturday, February 6, 2010

What Else Matters?

A mother never fully realizes her influence upon her daughter until her daughter comes home from college one Friday night and says, Hey Mom, I was bored at school today and went to Ruhlman's blog and saw these wonderful looking hot rolls and we've gotta make 'em.

Funny coincidence, since I was looking at the very same blog, on the very same day, and thinking the very same thing. Also, I had just came home from the grocery store with some local butter and honey - both items called for in the recipe - so it seemed like the perfect idea.




Now my daughter and I are very close and a lot alike. We share the same goofy sense of humor and sensible taste in clothes. But her going to this blog seemed a bit strange to me, since my baby girl - who hates it when I call her that because she was born 36 - never really got into cooking or anything domestic for that matter.

But I guess a bit of me somehow managed to rub off on her, since I was the one who first introduced her to Ruhlman, and she loves to eat. And this love of eating, after all, was her main motivation for this bread baking endeavor.



If you go to http://ruhlman.com/ you will find a much more enticing picture of these ethereal rolls along with his recipe.

The weather was cold and gray, a perfect day for baking bread. I had such high hopes. But I gotta admit, I was a bit disappointed. I followed the recipe to a tee, but the dough rose a little too high in the springform pan and the bread-to-crust ratio was a bit off. Next time, instead of 12 gigantic rolls in a spring form pan, I will try making 24 rolls in two round cake pans.

Bread is a funny thing, perhaps it was the size of my pan, or the flour I used, or my cheap, rental kitchen oven. Who knows? And who cares? I spent some time with my girl and we ate some bread and had a few laughs.

What else matters?

11 comments:

My Castle in Spain said...

That is a fantastic bread ! i'd love to try it...thank you !
:-)

Joanne said...

This is adorable! Good mother/daughter time. I really hope my (very much in the future) daughter asks me to bake with her someday!

These look delicious.

Elisa, Croatia said...

I like to say, "Two great minds think alike!"

happy Sunday.

Elaine Warner said...

Only thing that sounds better is using Leighton's Orange Blossom Honey from Haines City, Florida. I was given a small jar when I was in Polk County a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a big honey eater but when I got home and opened the jar, I could smell the orange blossoms! I am totally hooked and have to figure out how to get some more. I highly recommend it!

Michelle said...

My Castle in Spain -
I think Ruhlman is making some corrections to the recipe, so you may want to check there before you try it. But I can't think of anything better than hot, homemade bread in a caslte in Spain!


Joanne -
I hope your "future" daughter
wants to bake with you too. There's nothing more fun!

Elisa -
I guess great minds do think alike, or hungry minds anyway. :-)

Elaine -
This honey sounds great! I'll have to keep my eye out for that, or perhaps check to see if it can be purchased online. Thanks for the tip. I am always thrilled to hear about new, exciting foods to try.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Michelle, when I first caught a glimpse of those rolls of yours I thought, "those are georgeous"! I love your photo, so appealing, did you submit that to Tastespotting? you should, if you didn't.
As far as your daughter goes, you know the old saying... The apple dosen't fall far from the tree. I love how you cook together.

Steve said...

Michelle,
Came across your site through Ruhlman. I did the rolls as well. Better next time for me. I really like your site. Great writing, etc. Adding you to my site. I'm originally from Tulsa and, alas, find myself entrenched in the wilds of the NYC area. Some day back, hopefully pert near soon, to the south.
Steve
http://www.myfavoriteflavours.com

Michelle said...

Hi Steve,
Glad you stopped by, always happy to meet a fellow Okie. I'll add you to my blog list as well. Hope things aren't too hectic in the Big Apple!

Linda said...

What else matters indeed! Looks like it was a perfect day :)

kanishk said...

That is a fantastic bread !
business planning software

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色