Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Taking Stock

Thanksgiving came and went in a flash.

Soon after I sat down to take stock of all the things I had cooked, all the things I was going to cook, and all the things I needed for future Christmas cooking.

That's when I realized that I had this beautiful turkey carcass to contend with.

So I took stock.

Literally, of all the onions, carrots and celery strewn about the bottom of the vegetable bin.

Also by visiting Michael Rhulman's blog  www.Ruhlman.com where I became so inspired that I could hardly sleep that night at the prospect of making this stock.

Kinda weird, I know.

In case you're not familiar with Ruhlman, I highly recommend his books and blog. They are a great resource for anyone who is truly interested in cooking and learning the basics. Ruhlman is adamant, as am I, about the virtues of making homemade stock. No matter how convenient or tempting the store bought stuff may be, it just doesn't compare to homemade.

I looked up the verb take-stock today on the Internet and it said: to look at critically or searchingly, in minute detail. And when it comes to stock, Ruhlman has certainly done that. His was recipe was the most delicious stock I have ever made. And so simple. Liquid gold! His method is a bit unconventional, however, as it's cooked in the oven and not on top of the stove. Ruhlman recommends adding garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and other aromatics near the end of the cooking process, so the stock doesn't become too overpowered or bitter from the aromatics.


I highly recommend his technique.

This turkey from WS is going to make some great stock.

I  can't wait to make a smoky, chicken Tortilla Soup; beans; chili; and even a nice turkey noodle soup would be good.

So slap that turkey carcass back into the pot and make a big pot of stock.

You'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Casey said...

I wholeheartedly share your enthusiasm for michael ruhlman's books and blogs. Not too long ago he was kind enough to do a mini-interview for my blog, Margin Notes, including a pointer about making veal stock.