Monday, February 11, 2008

A True Find...

Okay, I know this blog is supposed to be about soup. But sometimes a gal needs something sweet and chocolaty and gooey. And I have the perfect find ... brownies!

This weekend I was browsing some old cooking magazines (I happen to have a few) when I stumbled across a Midwest Living from exactly 1 year ago this month.  It was a special edition titled "Our 20 Best Recipes of All Time." I immediately turned to this picture of delectable, fudgy, nutty brownies. Who couldn't resist that?

Now, I can't understand why on earth it has taken me so long to try this recipe. For I seem to recall thinking that that was the main reason I had bought the magazine in the first place. That and the fact that I am from the Midwest, and all the recipes inside did look quite delicious.

Before I go any further, let me say that I have been searching for a good brownie recipe for about as long as I can remember. I have tried many different recipes, but none of them ever added up. Until now. These are sweet, chocolaty, and addictive. 

I must admit, mine weren't as pretty as the ones in the pic, but that didn't matter, they disappeared quickly. In fact, by the end of the day, only crumbs were left on the plate. The only evidence that I had actually made the brownies.

They're a little more work than your average quick mix, but well worth it.






Magic Brownies
Adapted from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, Michigan

13 tablespoons butter
6 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate,
coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 coarsely chopped walnuts

1. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, set aside. In a heavy small saucepan, heat the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes, or until lemon-colored and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Add flour mixture. Beat on low speed until combined, scraping sides of bowl. Stir in walnuts. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake in 325 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until brownies appear set. Cool in pan on rack. Makes 15 brownies.

Note: I only had semisweet chocolate on hand, so that's what I used, and they still turned out great. But next time I'm going to try bittersweet for that extra dark punch.

5 comments:

Hui Wen said...

Hi Michelle,
thanks for stopping by my blog and for your concern about the bugs! Yes, I'm really in Singapore. But I spend most of the year in Melbourne, Australia, as I'm a student there. These brownies sound delicious. Would you describe them as fudgy or cakey? I too am always on the look out for a good brownie recipe. My current go-to recipe comes from the back of a Ghirardelli baking bar.

Michelle said...

Hi Hiu Wen!
So cool that you spend time in Singapore and Australia!
I do hope you try this recipe. I found it in a magazine, but it is based on a recipe from a famous grocery/deli in Michigan. I would say it is more of a fudgy brownie, but the cake flour makes them extra light and not too dense. And, I think the creaming of the sugar and butter is what make them extra good. I actually used Ghiradelli chocolate when I baked them and they turned out great! Let me know how they turn out!

Hui Wen said...

Thanks. That texture sounds right up my alley. I'll add this recipe to my ever growing to-cook list. So many recipes so little time!

Heather said...

Michelle,
Thanks for checking out my blog, Talk More Later.
I like yours as well.
I'm leaving today for a ski trip in Idaho and Wyoming, when I get back I'm going to try the lime tortilla soup!
Best,
Heather

Michelle said...

Thanks for stopping by Heather! Let me know how the Tortilla Lime soup turns out. Hope you had a nice trip.