Thursday, July 31, 2008

Up And Running

We're finally up and running.

And I was happy to see Deetsa from deetsasdiningroom had stopped by and tagged me for a meme.

I really enjoy reading her blog as it is about two places I've always admired, British Columbia and France.

And to me that's the best thing about blogging, getting to know people from other parts of the world and discovering new things. And it sure sounds like Deetsa enjoys some beautiful scenery and some fantastic food in her part of the world. Thank's Deetsa!

So here goes ...


1. Last Movie I Saw In A Movie Theater?
"Sex and the City"  I only make it to the movies about once a year.


2. What Book Are You Reading?
I enjoy the classics. I devoured A Moveable Feast in a day. And now I am relishing For Whom The Bell Tolls. I had forgotten what a foodie ol' Hem was and never realized the symbolic references of food in his stories. No one gets to the gut of the matter like Hemingway. And I appreciate the fact that he doesn't glorify food, he simply reminds us of what it's like to be human and eat.

3. Favorite Board Game?
Clue. By far the best board game of all time. But I must confess, I didn't play many board games growing up because my theory was "the reason they were called board games is because I got bored playing them."

4. Favorite Magazine?
I'm a sucker for all cooking magazines, especially Cooking Light, Cooks Illustrated, Southern Living, and Midwest Living. Also, I have been known to pick up a Victoria and Cottage Living once in a while, especially autumn issues.

5. Favorite Smells?
Bread baking, garlic, coriander, fresh green onions, a crackling fire in the fireplace, lilacs, my sons burr head when I kiss him, and that wonderfully unique smell of burning jack-o-lanterns on Halloween.

6. Favorite Sounds?
I like Deetsa's previous post of Real church bells. That's a good one. Also my husband's voice, my cat purring, my son's classical guitar, my daughter's sweet voice, my son's voice. But most of all, I love Silence.

7. Worst Feeling In The World?
Not being able to help when someone I know who is hurting, hungry, or in need.

8. First Thing You Think of When You Wake?
Wow that was a quick night.

9. Favorite Fast Food Place?
Hmm ... that's a tough one because I really don't eat fast food. But I do like Chipotle Grill and Panera Bread once in a while.

10. Future Child's Name?
My children are grown and we certainly have no plans for more, but I do have a few names in mind for cats: Percy, Henry, Piero,Violet and Chloe.

11. Finish This Statement—“If I Had a Lot of Money,"
I would travel the world.

12. Do You Drive Fast?
No.

13. Do You Sleep With a Stuffed Animal?
No.

14. Storms—cool or scary?
Having spent my entire life in Kansas and Oklahoma, I would have to say both cool and scary.

15. What Was Your First Car?
A Ford Pinto

16. Favorite Drink?
Coke, wine and tea.

17. Finish This Statement—“If I Had the Time, I Would…"
Go to college.

18. Do You Eat the Stems on Broccoli?
Sure.

19. If You could Dye your Hair Any other color what would it be?
Probably the blond it used to be when I was four years old.

20. Name All the Different Cities In Which You Have Lived –
Oh, I lost track.

21. Favorite Sport to Watch?
Iron Chef

22. One Nice Thing About The Person Who Sent This To You
She visits my blog, and that is nice. Also she likes the movie Sense and Sensibility, and anyone who enjoys this type of movie is a friend in my book.


23. What’s Under Your Bed?
Dusty Rubbermaid storage boxes with old wrapping paper and junk in them.

24. Would You Like to Be Born As Yourself Again?
Apparently no one else was up for the job the first time around -- so if I had to do it again, yes, I'd be a 'born again me.'

25. Morning Person or Night Owl?
I'm typing this at 2:00 a.m. on a weeknight ...

26. Over Easy or Sunny Side Up?
    Eggs? Bleh! 

27. Favorite Place to Relax?
At home. With a book.

28. Favorite Ice Cream Flavor?
Vanilla

29. Of All the People You Have Tagged, Who Is the Most Likely to Respond First?
Not sure, since this is the first time I've ever done this.

I'm tagging:

Hungry Passport at www.hungrypassport.blogspot.com. who has a great blog with lots of useful and interesting information that I really enjoy reading.

Also, Rowena at http://rubbahslippahsinitaly.blogspot.com/ who is in Italy and always a delight to read.

I am still new to this blog world and each of their visits have meant a lot.

4 comments:

Rowena said...

Hi Michelle,
I remember doing this...via an email forward! I'm looking forward to your doggie meme as it's not one that I have seen anywhere.

I liked what you wrote about getting to know other people from other parts of the world. I'm still hoping to find a blogger from Portugal that writes in english and has the same interests as I do. Portugal and Madagascar are two places that I very much want to visit.

Hungry Passport said...

Oh gosh, I always feel like a jerk when people e-mail me these fill-in-the-lists and I blow them off—which I always do. So to get myself off the hook, and because you said some really nice things about me and my blog, Michelle, can I make up my own list to respond to?
1. Heels or flats? Flats (barefoot is even better)
2. Whiskey or gin? Gin
3. Bette or Barbara? Eddie Izzard
4. Plants or flowers? Plants
5. California Roll or sashimi? Sashimi
6. Laugh until you cry or cry until you laugh? Both, depending on the circumstances.
7. Best Bond? Connery. Scotland forever!
8. Pets on the bed or pets off the bed? Hey it’s their bed and if they want to sleep on it, who am I to say no?
9. Alaska or Hawaii? Alaska

***Okay, Michelle, now I’ll answer some of the ones on your list:

10. Favorite magazine? Saveur and National Geographic
11. Favorite board game? Scrabble. I’d like to say chess, but I’m more verbal than spatial. Can’t be helped.
12. Favorite sport to watch? Our cat, Prima, when she’s retrieved a rat from the neighbor’s garage. She always calls us outside so we can watch her kick its butt.
13. What book are you reading? I keep a stack of books by the bed that, had this week’s earthquake been stronger and at bedtime, could have buried me. All that to say, I keep several going at any one time. Just finished Gilead and Eat, Pray, Love (both are amazing). Am reading Pollan’s Omnivore’s Dilemma and Istanbul, by Orhan Pamuk. Just started Smile When You’re Lying and am rereading Hemingway’s A Moveable Feast. Am currently bogged down in One Hundred Years of Solitude (could well take me 100 years to READ it). Still working my way through The Letters of Noel Coward, and believe me, the man wrote a few!
14. What’s under your bed? I’m not sure, but I think it needs shots & a bath (how big does a dust rhino have to get before Animal Control steps in?).
15. Straightforward answers or screw with people? Heh heh, guess!

As for the real/fake church bell issue, of course real is better, but my alarm clock has a church bell option, which is tons preferable to the sounds alarm clocks typically make. We call it Our Lady of Get-Your-Ass-Out-of-Bed.

Thanks for indulging me!
Cheers! Carol

Michelle said...

Rowena -
Portugal is an interesting place. I can see why you would want to travel there. I've really been in a Portugal/Spain sort of mood lately, especially while reading Hemingway. I've always wanted to find a British blogger myself - and never had much luck with that - even without the language barrier. I bought some new coffee mugs recently, a beautiful green pottery, and was pleasantly surprised when I read on the bottom that they were made in Portugal.

Hungry Passort -
Your question and answers were a hoot. I'm a big fan of Eddie Izzard, Sean Connery, and flats. Also, sounds like you and I have similar taste in books. I've been wanting to read Istanbul - let me know how you like it. Watch out for those books in an earthquake!

Proud Italian Cook said...

I'm glad you're up and running again Michelle. It was nice to learn some fun things about you too!