Saturday, July 5, 2008

What People Eat ...

I am fascinated by other cultures and what they eat.

I received these pictures in an email some time ago. Also it is pictured on another blog and several other places on the Internet. I think they also appeared in Time magazine, but I am not sure.

 It is just so interesting that I had to share.

Notice the size of each family, the cost of their food, and the type of diet each family consumes.



Italy: The Manzo family of Sicily
Food expenditure for one week: 214.36 Euros or $260.11




Germany: The Melander family of Bargteheide
Food expenditure for one week: 375.39 Euros or $500.07


United States: The Revis family of North Carolina
Food expenditure for one week $341.98
(Sadly, I am not surprised by this picture, it is a typical diet of most American families. However, I do see some meat on the table, so it appears that they do prepare some of their own meals, which is better than many American families who eat fast food every single night of the week.)



Mexico: The Casales family of Cuernavaca
Food expenditure for one week: 1,862.78 Mexican Pesos or $189



Poland: The Sobczynscy family of Konstancin-Jeziorna
Food expenditure for one week: 582.48 Zlotys or $151.27


Egypt: The Ahmed family of Cairo
Food expenditure for one week: 387.85 Egyptian Pounds or $68.53


Ecuador: The Ayme family of Tingo
Food expenditure for one week: $31.55


Bhutan: The Namgay family of Shingkhey Village
Food expenditure for one week: 224.93 ngultrum or $5.03


Chad: The Aboubakar family of Breidjing Camp
Food expenditure for one week: 685 CFA Francs or $1.23


These pictures are from a book called "Hungry Planet" by Peter Menzel. The photography is his. Please view more at his site: http://www.menzelphoto.com/books/hp.html

9 comments:

Maryann said...

Yes, I remember this and did a little post way back when. It's so interesting.

Michelle said...

Thanks for stopping by maryann -
I knew I had seen this several places and hope nobody minds that I "borrowed it". It is so interesting.

Rowena said...

I've seen this book too but when was it published? I looked at the conversion from euro to dollar and that must've been years ago! Right now, that sicilian family would be spending more like $334.86. Along with the nearly $9/gallon for gasoline, it definitely adds up. Ouch.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Wow, I've never seen this! So interesting. I don't know how some families do it! Like Rowena said, $9for gas too!!

Michelle said...

Rowena - I was thinking the same thing you were thinking, things sure have gone up since this book was published. Wow! $9 a gallon for gas. Guess I won't complain so much about the $3.89 I paid yesterday.


Proud Italian Cook - I am like you, I don't know how some families do it. This past weekend at the Farmer's Market, I chatted with a nice young man who was working on his degree in Agricultural Economics. I filled out a survey for him about food, how much we pay for it, and where it comes from. It was all so interesting that it jogged my memory about this former email. That's why I decided to post it again.

Nerissa said...

It's always very interesting to see what people eat in other places. It gives you a pause for thought andmakes you think that maybe how you eat isn't so "normal".
I'd have loved to do this with my class last school year. Wish I'd had the book around.

Michelle said...

nerissa -
Thanks for stopping by. And I agree, maybe what we think of as "normal" food seems very strange to others. A good way of looking at it.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

disa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色