Sunday, August 10, 2008

National Culinary Limbo Month

It is difficult to find something good to say about August.

I like the sound of August. It has a nice ring to it. But August is not the best month for food. There are no holidays in August. No pies, turkeys, or cookouts to look forward to. The kids go back to school and most significant of all, it is hotter than hell in August. Too hot to even cook out on the grill. And that is why I have officially declared August National Culinary Limbo Month. There really isn't much to do except simply bide my time until September, when nature, hopefully, will deliver us a reprieve from this dry, torrid season.


Some of you may have noticed that I haven't posted a chilled soup recipe yet. And August does seem the appropriate month to do so. Unfortunately, chilled soups just aren't my thing. Maybe it's because they aren't popular here in my part of the country. Rarely do I see them on a menu. Cold soup seems to be a bit of an oxymoron here.

One thing I do love, however, and crave, is vegetables. So in order to stave off those I'm hungry but nothing sounds good in the middle of blazing hot August cravings, I decided to concede with Mother Nature, and make a big, boiling pot of soup. Crazy, I know. But it actually worked.

When I dished up this rich, tomatoey, vegetable laden soup for the kids, I admiringly called it August Soup. But another and perhaps more appropriate name for it may have been Everything I've Got In The Fridge Soup. For that is essentially what I did - dump every vegetable I had into the pot. And the results were surprisingly tasty.



.

4 comments:

Proud Italian Cook said...

Oh, you are so right about August!
I have to say you did all your veggies proud with this delicious soup meal!

Cynthia said...

Like Marie said, you are so right about August.

Hungry Passport said...

I am engaged in a one-woman crusade to convert people into chilled soup eaters. If they don't like the sound of a cold veggie soup (although avocado cucumber soup usually brings them around to my way of thinking), then how about a cold fruit-based soup? Watermelon mint is great; so is a puree of strawberries with vanilla yogurt; so is canteloupe with a splash of sparkling apple juice. Why pay the utility companies double--to heat up the house while you're cooking and then have to run the a.c. to cool it down!--making a hot soup when it's the cool we really crave? Try making an authentically Spanish gazpacho (not those American-styled ones where you throw in everything that's in the fridge) and see how it goes. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest, Michelle. Now it's breakfast time and I'm craving vichyssoise! D'oh!

Michelle said...

Thanks for stopping by guys. Maybe this is the perfect time for me to try a cold soup.

Hungry Passport - I think a gazpacho would be fun to try.