Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gooey, Dense, Chocolaty

I have to admit, when a friend of mine first told me about this trendy, fad-like, treat, I was skeptical. Oreo's and cream cheese? That's all? I said. Sounds like a mess. I didn't trust her. Even though she'd never steered me wrong before. At least not when it came to food anyway.

Several months passed, and my friend was still talking about these silly, little truffles. You really must try 'em, she said. Yeah, yeah, I responded. I have southern roots. I have eaten enough gloppy calorie-laden desserts to feed Michael Phelps for a lifetime.



Eventually my friend gave a little party. And upon her glorious kitchen island sat a lovely spread of the usual Okie party foods: salsa, tortilla chips, Mexican layer dip, spicy empanadas, margaritas, and then, delicately, individually placed upon an elegant plate, the lone dessert, OREO truffles.

Let me just say, there is something about the combination of experiencing a few good laughs with your friends, eating some spicy, salty food, then washing it down with a cold margarita, and topping it off with an Oreo truffle. The sheer delight of it hits you by surprise. It's the perfect bite of gooey, dense, chocolaty, goodness. Sort of like a thick, decedent, brownie. Only better(!).



My friend dipped her truffles in melted chocolate, both white and dark. These are the white chocolate ones above. 

I suggest using a food processor to pulverize the cookies. It's the fastest and easiest way. Also, after dipping them in melted chocolate, sprinkle them with whatever you like - more crushed OREO's, or, red and green sprinkles would be nice this time of year. Either way, run out and pick yourself up a pack of OREO's and some Philadelphia Cream Cheese right away. Err, make that two packs of OREO's, because your husband will see them lying on the counter and think: cookies, milk, bedtime, snack.

Note: I decided to be different and rolled my Oreo Truffles in cocoa powder. My friend came over this morning and we had a pretty good chuckle - they tasted delicious - but she said they reminded her of something Santa's reindeer left behind. Not a totally appropriate connotation on a food website, I know, but it was sure funny.





OREO Truffles
adapted from Kraftfoods.com


1 pkg. (1 lb. 2 oz.) OREO Cookies, finely crushed, divided

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

2 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted

8 oz. white chocolate


MIX 3 cups of the cookie crumbs and the cream cheese until well blended. Shape into 42 (1-inch) balls.

DIP balls in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover melted chocolate can be stored in tightly covered container at room temperature and saved for another use.) Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs.

REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm. Store any leftover truffles in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

9 comments:

Peter M said...

Michelle, these cookies are stunners...a surprise offering to guests...just after dessert is finished I'm thinking.

Linda said...

Thanks for the recipe, Michelle. This is my idea of a dessert recipe ~ simple. I love to cook, but am not fond of baking. I'll try this out for my holiday gatherings.

Proud Italian Cook said...

I want to try to make these for sure! I can just hear the ooohs, and ahhhs, when you bring these out!

Michelle said...

Thanks for stopping by everyone. It's always nice to see your faces in these tiny pics again. (I really must work on getting that done.) Hope you make these and enjoy for the holiday. Let me know how they turn out!

Cynthia said...

If only I were a chocolate lover...

Michelle said...

Hi Cynthia -
I'm sorry to hear that you don't like chocolate. I wish I could be like that. I'll have another, non-chocolate dessert posted here soon.

Maris said...

Thanks for this great recipe! Sounds like a perfect treat for Christmas eve.

Michelle said...

Maris-
Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you liked the recipe.

Gloria said...

These are really nice and yummy!!!!Gloria