Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm Still Here

Whew. Things have been hectic lately, we finally sold our house and are in the process of moving. The buyers came several times last week and it's been a real challenge to keep things neat and tidy.

Why is it that the day I cook the most food, and have the most dirty dishes in the sink, is the day somebody inevitably comes knocking at the door?

I am tired. And to make matters worse - my hours at work have increased. So that along with packing up 27 years of junk is keeping me extra busy right now. Someday I hope to cook again. For now, I am on hiatus ... somewhat. I hope to resume cooking and some semblance of normalcy in February.

In the mean time, I am thinking about Superbowl Sunday. It's a big day to my husband. Me? I really couldn't care less, but I do like the food that comes along with sports. And here in Oklahoma, that usually means grilling. And although we've had some pretty darn cold days this year, we've also had some nice grilling days as well. So I want to tell you about this marinated flank steak recipe that I found in a Southern Living cookbook.

This is one of those meats you can throw on the grill, slice thinly, and serve on a big platter or cutting board and let everyone help themselves. I love the caramelized sweetness that the honey imparts and the tang of the cider vinegar. Don't let the ginger and the soy sauce scare you, they really do help flavor and tenderize the meat without making it too Asian. This steak goes well with most anything, even chips and guacamole, a standard here in Oklahoma. Someone in the food business once told me that the #1 day for avocado sales in America is Superbowl Sunday. I am not surprised.

I am sorry to say that I don't have a picture to show you. Like I said, I've been busy, but I am still here, and hope to begin cooking again soon in a new kitchen with a pantry and only a few minutes from not one, but TWO(!) grocery stores. I will think I've died and went to heaven.


Honey-Grilled Flank Steak
adapted from Southern Living

1 (2 pound) flank steak
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Place steak in a large heavy-duty, zip-top bag or shallow dish. Combine oil and remaining 7 ingredients; pour over steak. Seal or cover, marinate in fridge 8 hours, turning occasionally.

Remove steak from marinade, reserving marinade. Bring marinade to a boil in a small saucepan; set aside. Grill steak approximately 10 minutes on each side, basting with reserved marinade the last 5 minutes.

To serve, slice steak diagonally, across the grain.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Hooray, Michelle! You sold your house! That's great.

Thanks for the recipe - I'll have to give it a try.

Funny you mention the Buper Bowl, as I just wrote on my blog that we are virtually a NO SPORTS household. My husband could care less and that suits me just fine as I'm the same way. We never watch the Super Bowl, unless it's to tune in for the brief half time show only (depending on who it is).

I hope that everything with the move gove smoothly, though I know that's virtually impossible. I hate moving and hope to never do that again.

I'll be looking forward to your blog when you get settled.

Kind thoughts,
Linda

Michelle said...

Linda-
I couldn't imagine what it would be like to live in a household with no sports blaring on the TV. Kinda quiet and kinda nice, I would guess. The good thing about marrying a former football player/sports addict, is that he is good at lifting things - heavy boxes. I dread the move. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Cynthia said...

Take it easy. Moving is such a huge task.

Congrats on getting the house sold.