Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Best I Can Do

To say that I am busy right now is an understatement. Life has become one long marathon and I plan on collapsing sometime around the end of this month. Until then, this quick post and this quick bean soup - literally made in a matter of minutes - is the best I can do.

I woke up with a movers hangover - headache, aching, sick to my stomach - from packing and sorting through hoards of junk all night. Why am I saving a Better Homes and Gardens from 1952? It was a dreary day, and the thought of spending eight hours in a gray cubicle, broken up by lunch in a cold, prison-gray break room, was not appealing. Soup sounded good, but I was in a hurry and on my way to work. And since we are in the process of moving, my fridge and pantry were bare. But it was either come up with something quick, or lunch at the Panda Express. So I rummaged through the fridge, found a pathetic carrot, half an onion, some wilted celery, gave 'em a quick chop, tossed them in a pan of hot olive oil, sauteed a minute while putting on some mascara, added a can of rinsed, drained northern beans, a dash of dried Italian herbs, salt, pepper, some water, and voila(!). Lunch.





I was pleasantly surprised by the aroma and freshness of this soup. Must have been the Italian herbs and the good olive oil. But I think the real key here is rinsing the beans - you don't want bean sludge in your soup.

Well, that is all I have for now.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Rest up dear one! And even in the midst of all of this craziness, you were creative with your lunch- I'm impressed. I would have just grabbed a can of ready-made soup, ha. Your quick soup looks delicious and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who will make good use of a wilted carrot or celery. :-)

Elaine Warner said...

We've missed you! Thanks for the recipe and the can scum suggestions. Hang in there. What doesn't get done today will be waiting for you tomorrow!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Soon things will settle down Michelle, take it day by day. Look what you created with some bare essentials! Way better than Panda Express!

Cynthia said...

Take it easy...