Monday, May 18, 2009

Hi All


I'm going on a business trip with my husband this weekend.
And I'm terribly excited, because as I've said before, we don't have good grocery stores here. But we will be stopping by a Whole Foods on our way home from the trip, and I am so excited. Does anyone else love grocery shopping as much as I do?

On a side note, for those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health.
It's a relief to know the real truth after all these conflicting studies we hear about.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats
and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.


CONCLUSION

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.







I picked up some fantastic, locally made, rye bread at the farmers market this weekend and made Reuben sandwiches for Saturday night supper.

A Reuben is a hot sandwich, and I usually prepare these in the oven, under the broiler. But this time I used the panini press instead, and I think I liked this method better. It was much easier and crispier. And my hubby and son loved them.

Since my son is allergic, and has an aversion to anything prepackaged and containing preservatives, and also because all salad dressings contain corn syrup, I went online and found this recipe from The Russian Tea Room for a Russian salad dressing to go on the sandwiches. This dressing brought back fond memories of an Iceberg lettuce salad with a wedge of tomato on it, that I used to have as a kid, in an old, art deco cafe with my grandparents. It was quite good.



Your Basic Reuben Sandwich

Rye bread
Russian Dressing
Sauerkraut
Corned Beef
Swiss Cheese

I like to toast the bread first, just to crisp it up a bit, so that way, the sandwich doesn't get soggy from all the juicy sauerkraut. Then I grill the sandwich in a skillet or a panini press, or toast it in the broiler of the oven.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Love Reubens and I love your sage advice, as it gave me a laugh. :-)

Hope you have great travels with your husband this weekend! Take care.

Linda

Michelle said...

Thanks for stopping by Linda -
I'm glad I gave you a laugh. And can't wait to get back here soon and catch up on things.

Proud Italian Cook said...

Woo Hoo! That's how I want to end up. I loved this post Michelle! Great advice. Take pictures of what you load up on at Whole Foods!