Monday, May 25, 2009

Smoked Tri-Tip

How was everyone's weekend?

I am here to say that smoked tri-tip is FANTASTIC(!).

If you or anyone in your family has a smoker, run to the store, buy a tri-tip, and cook one up right now. Serve it with some Jalapeno Brown Beans, Coleslaw, Corn On The Cob, and you will have one happy family.

My hubby did a great job smoking our tri-trip this weekend. I let it refrigerate overnight in a Williams Sonoma Cowboy Coffee and Spice Rub that I had bought last fall. And even though I am normally not one to use pre-made, store bought rubs (I prefer to make my own), this stuff was pretty darn good.

My only regret is that I didn't have time for a picture of this beautifully prepared beef which had a good layer of fat on it, similar to a brisket. It cooked up spicy, and tender, and juicy, and melt in your mouth delicious. And that is what we all kept saying, in a baffled but happy sort of way, while we were eating - This stuff melts in your mouth. I think there is something about the earthiness of the coffee that brings out the flavors of the meat. I will definitely make this again.

I've got a brother who is an avid outdoor cook, and I can't wait to impress him with this recipe. Also, the beans - he will like the beans - cowboy style, with bacon, and onion, and jalapeno, seasoned with cumin and chili powder. Meat and beans. That's pretty much all the guy ever eats. And he's actually pretty thin and healthy. Amazing.

What did you cook this weekend?


Smoked Tri-Tip
adapted from Williams Sonoma website

Ingredients:

1 beef tri-tip, about 2 lb.

3 Tbs. coffee and spice rub

Sea salt, to taste

Directions:
Rub the tri-tip on all sides with the coffee and spice rub. Place the meat in a sealable plastic bag, seal the bag and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours.

Preheat an electric smoker to 225ºF.

Smoke the tri-tip according to the manufacturer's instructions until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat registers 140-150ºF for medium done, 4-5 hours, or until done to your liking.

Transfer the meat to a carving board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes. Thinly slice the meat across the grain and arrange on a warmed platter. Sprinkle the meat with sea salt.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for the recipe ~ You're making me hungry and it's only 9:45 a.m.

We had a series of cookouts this weekend, all at our house, so it was a variety of steakburgers, brats, hot dogs, and deliciously-juicy chicken breasts, that I marinated in a combo of caesar dressing, BBQ sauce, Olive Oil, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, with a spice rub and somehow it worked together very well and was very much enjoyed by all.

Hope you have a great week!
Linda

Proud Italian Cook said...

Michelle,
You must have camera in hand! I would have loved to seen a picture of your smokey goodness! It all sounds wonderful!

Michelle said...

As always -
It's so good to log on and find my two loyal friends, Linda and Marie. And I always look forward to seeing what you gals are cooking up in the kitchen. That marinade sounds great Linda! And Marie, what can I say, forget Giada, you are the queen of Italian cooking. I've made more of your recipes than hers. Too bad we can't all get together this summer and have a picnic. I bet it would be a hit!

benjaminrogers said...

This recipe sounds really interesting. Most of the recipes I had for rubs with coffee have been way to strong. I think I might try this one just because I love Tri-Tips! If it turns out I'll be sure to put up pictures on my blog at www.boilingandbeyond.com!