Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hello Again

I have been away for a while, but haven't forgotten about my favorite pals and bloggers out there.

I hope everyone is having a safe and happy summer.

With all the fresh, ripe tomatoes and spicy peppers at the Farmer's Market today, I couldn't resist making a batch of salsa in my new Molcajete.

It's a lot of fun. And I love the flavors! But I gotta admit - I do have a newfound respect for that guy who invented the food processor. This was a little more work than I had anticipated. But well worth the effort.


Homemade Molcajete Salsa

1 Serrano Chile
2 large ripe tomatoes
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. salt
1/8 of a white onion, chopped
Fresh Cilantro
1/2 lime

In an iron skillet, roast the chile and tomatoes for 7- 8 minutes or until they are soft and skin turns black.

Pell off and discard the burned skin from the tomatoes. (Note: I leave a little of the skin on, because I like that charred flavor.)

In the mortar, grind the garlic, and onion, and salt into a paste.

Add the roasted tomatoes and pepper and continue grinding until you get the consistancy you prefer.

Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro.

Note: I added a small dried, red chile to this batch and it made it extra red and spicy