Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Little Things

Is there anything more wonderful than seeing a sign like this?



My daughter Kassie passed this sign on her walk to school. The giant pear tree sets in front of a beautiful, old, white Victorian home, not far from her college. And I can't think of a kinder, more pleasant act of generosity than allowing the kids to pick a pear on their way to school.



Last spring we left our barren, suburban landscape and moved to a town - a real town - with parks and sidewalks and old Victorian homes with bushes and flowers, and best of all, pear trees. I feel like I've been transported from a sterile spaceship in outer space to mother-earth in all her glory. The grass is greener, the birds are chirping, and the sky seems bluer. It's the little things, like picking a pear on a warm, late summer afternoon that make me happy.

There was a part of me, however, that felt a bit timid about picking fruit from a tree that didn't belong to me. I was worried a gnarly branch would reach out and slap me and say "Stop eating my pears!"




The nice lady who I assume owns the house, came out onto her porch while we were there and said it would be okay to come back later with a ladder and pick more fruit, as all the lower branches had already been picked clean. And the tree was loaded. It would be a shame for the pears to waste.

So you know where I am headed tomorrow. Does anyone have a good recipe for fresh pears?



Perhaps I should take the nice lady a Phyllo Pear Tart.

3 comments:

Linda said...

This is a lovely post and indeed a beautiful gesture by a caring individual. Have fun with your pear picking! :)

Proud Italian Cook said...

Did you make your pear tart? Those pears look beautiful!

Michelle said...

Thanks for stopping by Linda and Marie -
I am sorry to say that I haven't made the tart yet, but I did use some of the pears in a recipe I found in an old cookbook for grilled pork chops with red onions and pears. It turned out very tender and caramelized and my husband said it was delicious. Looking forward to making the tart later in the week.