Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Quick Autumn Supper

Isn't autumn the most glorious time of year?

The weather has been cool, the leaves are beginning to turn, and I have about a million recipes on standby, just waiting for the perfect autumn day.





I found some nice mushrooms at the farmers market and decided to make Giada's Rigatoni with Creamy Mushroom Sauce. And it was so easy. Just the type of meal I was craving on a cool early autumn evening.

You can use pretty much any mushrooms you like - cremini, shitake, and button - or pasta for that matter - I didn't have rigatoni on hand, so I substituted small penne.

A glass of wine, a quick green salad, some crusty bread, and you're in business.


Rigatoni with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, 2008


1 pound rigatoni pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound assorted mushrooms, (such as cremini, shiitake and button), cleaned and sliced
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.

While the pasta is cooking:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and garlic to the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn the heat to high. Add the wine and cook for 3 minutes until all the liquid evaporates. Add the stock and simmer until liquid is slightly reduced. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the mascarpone cheese. Stir until creamy. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water, and transfer to a serving bowl. Add the mushroom mixture and the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss well to coat pasta, adding the reserved pasta water, if needed, to loosen the pasta. Garnish with the chopped chives. Serve immediately.

Note: The recipe originally called for vegetable stock, which I was out of, so substituted chicken stock instead. You could use a little more leftover cooking water from the pasta and this would work just fine.

6 comments:

Alice and Stuart said...

Hey Michelle! that pasta looks so good. i've never cooked with mascarpone cheese, I might have to give this a whirl.
and I hate jello too.

Michelle said...

Hey Alice and Stuart!
You should try mascarpone cheese, it gives the dish a creamy, tangy, fresh taste. Thanks for stopping by!

Linda said...

Looks delicious! I love to cook with various mushrooms, my husband doesn't mind, but the funny thing is - I pick them out and leave them on the side of my plate. I like the flavor but not the texture and daughter seems to be the same way.

Love Giada's recipes though - always yummy. Glad to see that you're back and feeling better. So many viruses going around right now, it's difficult to discern one from the other.

Hope you stay well and have a wonderfully-blessed Autumn! :)

Firefly said...

Hi Michelle -- Thought of you when I heard there is a new restaurant in OKC -- called 105degrees... I guess it is all raw food, a lot local. I haven't been there yet, wondered if you have. - becca

Allison said...

Hi Michell! I just found your blog through FoodBuzz and I love it! I'm always excited to find Oklahoma food bloggers because it doesnt seem like there are too many of us. I live in Norman but I'm moving to Oklahoma city in May. Thanks for the great pictures and recipes.

Michelle said...

Linda -
I hope you have a good autumn too. I've been away for a while and missed this place.

Firefly -
I think I read about this restaurant/raw food school in the Gazette or somewhere, down on Classen I think. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds really interesting. I'm definitely going to check that out. Let me know if you get there first. I have two kids who are "part" vegetarian, and it would be nice to have another place to take them to eat.

Allison -
Always happy to meet another Oklahoman. You're right, there aren't too many of us out here. I loved the header of autumn leaves on your blog! Good luck with your move to the city. I'm always a bit jealous of the cool food stores you have there in Norman.