Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Miss Dahl's Kitchen

In a perfect world I world, I would be like the gal in the picture below: a tall glamorous super model living in a cozy English cottage with the most adorable kitchen and a farmhouse sink. 

As it happens, I barely stand five foot three, live in a suburban rental with a dark, inadequate kitchen and a tiny Holly Hobbie sink. Oh, well.



But we can always dream, right?

And that is what I did when I watched these clips from England's latest cooking show The Delicious Miss Dahl. A younger, blonder Nigella, with some nostalgic music thrown in. I found myself glued to these clips on You Tube, just to see the beautifully busy British kitchen. Yes it is a bit cluttered for my taste, but for some reason, I really liked it.

I have a feeling, however, that men aren't tuning in to see the cute, country kitchen. They're looking at the former, gorgeous super model Miss Dahl who just so happens to be the granddaughter of Roald Dahl the famous author.


A lot of people here in the states may not be familiar with Sophie Dahl. She is from England and along with her new show has a cookbook Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights. Her grandfather was the author Roald Dahl, and her grandmother the actress Patricia Neal. Roald Dahl wrote James and the Giant Peach, Matilda, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and my favorite, The Witches, all of which have been made into movies. My kids loved The Witches. We've read the book twice and watched the movie at least a hundred times.

Anyway, I am bummed because Miss Dahl's new television show, The Delicious Miss Dahl, only airs on BBC 2 and I can't get it here. There's just something about those British cookery shows that draw me in. They make me want to set down in their kitchen with a cup of tea and hang out a while. They seem a little more laid back than our American cooking shows. And best of all, they show us that a women can be smart, and sexy, and cook, all without having to be a size three.

I am hoping Food Network will eventually pick this one up. But in the mean time, I'll keep my eye out for more episodes online.

Anyone else out there watch cooking shows just to see the kitchens like I do?

3 comments:

Linda said...

I had never heard of Sophie, but I watched the clip and was also drawn in. It's lovely!

For me, the kitchen setting on these food programs is every bit as important as what they're cooking, because I'm very much into the visual.

I enjoyed this piece. :)

Proud Italian Cook said...

I'm going to have to check her out.
Hopefully food network will pick her up. Did you hear there's going to be a new cooking channel, called The Cooking Channel, starts May 31st, they've been doing lot's of promo's here on cable. I like Rick Bayless's kitchen in Chicago, he cooks out of his home and has a great backyard for entertaining in urban Chicago.

Michelle said...

Proud Italian Cook -
I've seen a commercial for that new food channel. Kinda exciting, huh? I'm tired of the old shows and barely watch them anymore. So does Rick Bayless have a new show coming on this channel? That would be great! He's from OKC like me!